Yesterday, I met a thirteen year-old girl named Linda in one of the tent cities. Although she can speak very little English, and I speak even less Creole, we somehow figured out that we were destined to be friends. I love her sassiness!
Linda taught me that some things are universal. The list (so far) includes
1. A friendly smile
2. fist-bumping
3. high fives
4. laughing (at or with someone)
5. Shakira's "Waka Waka" dance
6. Justin Bieber. Seriously, the kid is painted on tap-taps next to Jesus! And I sang "Baby" in English with three Haitian kids today.
Other popular American artists include: Lil Wayne, Kanye West, Michael Jackson, Rihanna, Rick Ross, Akon, and Jason Derulo.
Typical Linda. She was probably making fun of me when this picture was taken.
Today we went back to the tent city and ran into Linda again! Yesterday I asked her why she wasn't at school, and she told me that she was "taking a day off." When I teased her about skipping two days in a row, she told me that she didn't have enough money to go to school. I felt foolish for joking about it, and chastised myself for assuming that she was lazy. She also told me that her dad is in Port-au-Prince and that he won't pay for her to go to school. She has five brothers and sisters as well. I still have SO MUCH to learn about life in Haiti.
BABIES at the compound! A Haitian woman was educating her peers on healthy habits, pregnancy myths and facts, and how to avoid cholera. Yay public health!
Big and little brother
No comments:
Post a Comment