I thought I would post some pictures of things around Leogane. (Keep in mind that this city was the epicenter of the 7.0 earthquake that occurred on January 12, 2010. Around 90 percent of buildings fell, and the estimated number of deaths ranges from 40,00-100,000, depending on your source. Quick background on Haiti's earthquake)
This mural was painted to commemorate some Duke students who stayed in this building one summer! "Haitians say that you can tell they are smart because they are wearing glasses," said Missy, the in-site coordinator for FHM.
At the "port" of Leogane. "I sailed my ship to safety... until I sank it." The water is so hot, it's almost unbearable to swim!
(This picture was taken through the van window, so it looks like there are icicles hanging from the roof. I assure you that there is NO ICE in Haiti). This is a hotel (with rooms at a pricey rate of $65/night!) that was just opened by our friend Fritz, an avid entrepreneur who built the place after the earthquake to give "Haitians something to hope for." He also built a "green" house (clarification: it's "green" because it is painted green-duh!- and not because it is eco-friendly) We watched the Mavs beat the Heat on a flat screen in the lobby! (So glad I got to see this, live!)
This is the Nursing School of Leogane! I wish I had a panoramic setting on my camera, so that I could capture the huge tent city that lies beyond the gates surrounding the school. Many of the nurses who work in l'Hopital Sainte Croix (where I live) were educated here. (I took this picture for my mom, who is a professor at the University of San Diego's Nursing School! Go Mom! And nurses!)
This is a tribute to my friends who go to school at the University of Notre Dame! ND has a partnership with the Bill and Melinda Gates foundation (who also fund Duke Engage!) to treat and eradicate neglected tropical diseases, like Lymphatic Filariasis, in Haiti. This is the guest house where the people from ND stay when they come....pretty swanky, if I do say so! Read more about ND's efforts in Haiti here: http://haiti.nd.edu/
No comments:
Post a Comment