We are living in the Hospital Sainte Croix Guest House, which was the surgery unit before the earthquake. They turned the 2nd floor into a guest house during the reconstruction phase. There is a kitchen/dining room; a "lounge;" the manager's office; a few rooms for the doctors; a room for Lisa, Stephani, Annie, and me; a room for Sedlin and Sagar; a room for Jenn, Nadine, and Elisabeth; and a room for Nicole and her suite-mate, Carly. I am perfectly content with the guest house's amenities: internet, fans/one air conditioned room, great food, showers, water, and a great location!
The guest house manager's name is David Page. He practiced law in Scottsdale, AZ for 35 years and is spending a total of 3 months in Haiti. He is a fascinating man, with plenty of stories and advice about Haiti to share! I'm trying to appreciate the time we have with him, since he is leaving on June 30 to go home for his daughter's wedding.
When I asked him what brought him to Haiti, he told me that he did some service work here twenty years ago through his church, and that "You'll find that Haiti has a way of pulling on your heartstrings." I am beginning to understand what David is talking about, and admire him for giving up a season of golfing in Scottsdale for a hot summer in Haiti!
No comments:
Post a Comment